The main goal of BIO-Diversity is to increase the representation of URM professionals in the sciences, particularly in the fields of biology. BIO-Diversity is a space to showcase the diversity of scientists accomplishing great work in biology.
The support network for URMs in a particular discipline at any one institution is likely to be small, if it exists at all, if only because the number of URM professionals is typically small. Strengthening the broader community through a web-based forum increases the opportunity to find shared experience and hopefully helps to mitigate the isolation commonly felt by URM students and professionals.
This forum and its networking tools are meant to connect URM professionals in biology across companies and institutions as well as facilitate connections between students and potential mentors. To this end, we aim to form synergistic partnerships with diversity organizations and professional societies to promote our shared vision.
We want the field of biology to be inclusive, to be diverse and to benefit from the known advantages of diverse perspectives. What we learn as biologists impacts everyone, no matter who they are or where they come from. Every human being on this planet is biology, whether they are a scientist or not. Why should the pursuers of the truth of biology not be as diverse as the subject itself? Biology is diversity. We are biology.
BIO-Diversity works toward building diversity in the biological sciences in five specific ways:
(1) Building a supportive network for current URM students and professionals that focuses on sharing experiences and providing advice for navigating academia
(2) Showcasing research by current URM biologists
(3) Supporting URM participation in the biological sciences by providing a forum for sharing educational and research opportunities
(4) Facilitating connections between URM students and professionals at local, national and international research conferences
(5) Coordinating with local projects that engage students in primary school.
The BIO-Diversity Team